Process for Opening a Business in Downtown EC
(not including new construction)
1. Contact City Planning at 252-337-6672
- Do you have a location?
- Check parking
- Check UDO
- Talk about signage for approval (color, design, size, etc.)
2. Visit Customer Service – H. Rick Gardner Municipal Building, 306 E. Colonial Ave., 252-338-3981
Pick up/fill out privilege license application ($ amount determined by use)
3. Visit City Planning at A. Parker Midgett Municipal Building, 302 E. Colonial Ave.
Pick up Zoning Permit application; $100 cost; 24 hour turn around
4. Visit the Fire Department at City of EC Annex Building 304 E. Colonial Ave., 252-338-3913
Have them sign off on your application regarding safety issues (restaurant, daycare, chemical usage, occupancy rates, etc.) *May also need police signoff depending on use
5. Return to Customer Service for issuance of your privilege license
You may now turn on your utilities (337-6870) and open your doors for business
6. If there will be any internal construction – please contact City Building Inspections at 337-6868
Applications are available online at http://elizabethcity.govoffice.com under “Forms and Applications” under Planning & Community Development
Jump Start contest for new downtown businesses! See Links page under 'businesses' and click on Jump Start Business Contest!